If you have a pet, you will take a lot of pictures of it. It was more difficult to locate each pet’s photo before iOS 17. With iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma, Apple added the People & dogs album, which classified images of people and dogs separately. It is possible that some of you will not be able to see it. Thus, I’ll explain in this article how to resolve the issue with your iPhone’s People & Pets album’s pet recognition not working.
- Re-index your Photos album
- Restart your iPhone
- Reset People & Pets suggestions on iPhone
- Add People or Pets manually to your iPhone
1. Re-index your Photos album
Apple indexes your photos from the Photos album and performs background processing on them, which includes face classification for people and dogs. Re-indexing your iPhone’s Photos album is a great idea before you try any other troubleshooting steps.
Simply follow these instructions to re-index your iPhone’s photo collection:
- Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi.
- Plug your iPhone into the charger and lock it.
- Leave your iPhone overnight.
As it scans through your pictures, your iPhone will identify the people and animals in them and make a special People & Pets album. The CD may not be finished for up to two or more nights.
2. Restart your iPhone
Try these steps to restart an iPhone X or later model:
- Press and hold the side button + any volume button for a few seconds until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the slider to power off your iPhone and wait for 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the side button again to turn on your iPhone.
Refer to our comprehensive tutorial on restarting iPhones to restart iPhone 8 or previous generations.
3. Reset People & Pets suggestions on iPhone
Resetting the People & Pet recommendation on your iPhone is your best bet if none of the preceding solutions work. The Photos app will then begin the indexing process anew; if the re-indexing approach isn’t successful for you, this one ought to.
Still, here’s how to clear the iPhone’s People & Pet recommendations:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Photos from the list.
- Scroll down and tap the Reset People & Pets Suggestions option.
- Select Reset when you see the confirmation prompt.
It should take a few days for you to see the People & Pets album once you reset the suggestions for People & Pets.
4. Add People or Pets manually to your iPhone
In the event that your iPhone is unable to add people or animals to your Photos app automatically, you should manually add them.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Albums tab.
- Select the People & Pets album.
- Scroll down and tap the Add People option.
- Select the people or pets you d like to add to the album.
- Tap the Add button on the top-right to add their photos to the album.
See our comprehensive tutorial on how to tag pets on iOS 17 for more information on how to accomplish the same.
The Photos app ought to have access to People and Pets!
You may quickly search for images of particular people and pets by using the People and Pets album. The People and Pets album ought to be in the Photos app once you’ve attempted the aforementioned troubleshooting techniques.
However, since there might be an operating system bug if you’re on the beta or development version of iOS, it’s better to hold off until the next update. Please share any other questions you may have or suggestions you may have in the comments section below.